Offoha, Marcellina .U.
Faculty Of Humanities & Social Sciences
Department Of Social Sciences
Email: [email protected]
- Strayer University North Raleigh Campus, Raleigh, NC, USA, Online Training and Certification 2012
- University of Michigan-Flint, Flint, Michigan, USA, Online Training and Certification 2008
- Shaw University, Raleigh, NC, USA, Online Training and Certification 2007
- Temple University Philadelphia, PA, USA, Ph.D. in Sociology with concentration in Research Methods 1989
- The Johns Hopkins University Baltimore, MD, USA, Courses in Educational Leadership, 1983
- Morgan State University Baltimore, MD, USA, M.A. in Sociology, 1983
- Morgan State University Baltimore, MD, USA, B.A. in Sociology (Magna cum Laude) 1981
- Department of Sociology, Federal University @ Otuoke, Bayelsa, Nigeria; Associate Professor, 2012 to present
- Chair, Social Science Department, Shaw University, Raleigh, NC , 2011-2012
- Interim Director of all Nine Centers for Alternative Programs in Education Sites (CAPE), Shaw University, Raleigh, NC 2009-2011
- Director, Shaw University, Rocky Mount, NC C.A.P.E 2002 to 2009
- Director, Shaw University, Kannapolis, NC C.A.P.E 2000 to 2002
- Coordinator, Shaw University, Greenville, NC Site 1999 to 2000
Professional And Honorary Society Memberships
- International Sociological Association 2012 to present
- Southern Sociological Association Member 2011 to present
- Association of Social and Behavioral Scientists Member 2010
- Collegiate Press, Editorial Advisory Board Member 1996
- Association of Women in Psychology 1994-present
- Congress of Black Faculty 1994-2000
- New York State Sociological Association 1990-1998
- American Sociological Association 1984-present
- Eastern Sociological Society 1984-2000
- Organization of Nigerian Professionals, USA Inc. 1986-present
- Pennsylvania Sociological Society 1987-1991
- Eastern Community College Social Science Association 1984-1989
Major Recognitions and Honours
- Shaw University Administrator of the Year Award 2007
- Teacher of the Year Award 1999
- Certificate of Achievement (creating computer presentation) 1995
- Outstanding Nigerian Professional Award ONP-USA, Inc. 1989
- Distinguished Graduate Instructor Temple University, PA 1988
- Graduate School Fellowship, Temple University, PA 1987
- Outstanding Young Women of America 1982,1983
- Alpha Kappa Delta International Sociology Honor Society 1982
- De Costa Fellowship Award 1982
- Who’s Who Among Students in American Univ.& Colleges 1981, 1982
- Alpha Kappa Mu Honor Society 1981
- Promethean Kappa Tau Honor Society 1979
- Distinguished Honor Student 1982, 1983
- Offoha, Marcellina, The Rise to Prominence: The Biography of Chief (Dr.) Emmanuel Chukwuemeka Iwuanyanwu under Review for Publication, 2013.
- Offoha, Marcellina and Nellyzita Offoha, “Elderly African Immigrants with Speech and Language Disorder: The Impact on Family Dynamics” Paper presented at the 75th Annual Conference of the Association of Social and Behavioral Scientists, March 19, 2010.
- Offoha, Marcellina & M. Sadiku (Eds.) Ethnic and Cultural Diversity in Nigeria, New Jersey: Africa World Press, 1995.
- Offoha, Marcellina and Goodwin Stefan. “International Study and Socio-Economic Dimensions of Brain-Drain.” In KaiKai and KaiKai. Understanding The International Student. McGraw-Hill Co., 1991.
- “African and African-American Families: A Comparative Study.”Joint research with Monica Jackson, presented at the Organization of Nigerian Professionals (ONP-USA INC.) November 17, 1995.
- “Biafran Women: Military Decimation of Culture.” In Nwaneri, Angela N. Nigeria: Visions For The Future. presented at the Association For Black Faculty, October, 1995.
- “Contemporary Ethnic Conflicts in Africa: Implications For Migration and Brain Drain.” Paper presented at New York State Sociological Society, October, 1995.
- “Impact of Dependent Economy on Emigration and Remigration of Nigerian Professionals.” Paper presented at Eastern Sociological Society, 19 March 1994.
- “Impact of Familial Obligation on Emigration of Nigerians.”Paper presented at the New York State Sociological Society, 17 October 1992; Revised 1995; Unpublished Manuscript.
- “Theoretical Approaches to the Problems of International Migration.” Unpublished manuscript, 1992.
- “Educated Nigerian Settlers in the U.S.A.: The Phenomenon Of Brain Drain.” Paper Presented to the Pennsylvania Sociological Society, 1987; Dissertation, 1989.
- “Impact of Ethnicity on the Employment of Nigerian Professionals.” Paper Presented to the Pennsylvania Sociological Society, 1989.
- “Credentialism and Inequality” Unpublished Manuscript, 1988.
- “Factors Affecting Brain Drain Among Nigerian Professionals.”Paper Presented to the Organization of Nigerian Professionals (ONP-USA INC.) 1987
- “Parental/Community Involvement in the Development and Administration of Public Elementary School in Imo State Nigeria) & the State of Maryland (U.S.A.)” M.A. Thesis, 1983.