Dr. Oyadonghan Kereotu James
The vision of the programme is to produce competent and high level manpower in accounting for both public and private sectors of the economy including the international communities.
The mission of the programme is to produce tested and professionally competent, world-class accountants with the best of integrity. Our motto is honesty and integrity.
The accounting programme is one of pioneer academic programmes offered by the Federal University, Otuoke. The programme was initially domiciled in the Department of Social Sciences as a temporary measure for administrative convenience. During the 2015/2016 academic session, it became a full-fledged department. The department offers a four-year programme of study on a full-time basis leading to the award of the Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) degree in accounting.
The philosophy of the accounting programme is to train and prepare students for the many career options available in the accounting profession. The programme is aimed at developing graduates who are capable of handling current and future accounting, auditing, taxation issues in private and public institutions and other sectors of the economy. It is aimed at developing in students the competence and creativity for establishing and running their own professional firms to render public accounting services and tax consultancy as entrepreneurs.
The programme is aimed at:
1) Training students to be self-reliant in the field of accounting, auditing and taxation
2) Producing students who are adequately prepared for postgraduate work
3) Producing accountants who can readily impact their knowledge to students at lower levels of education
4) Developing self-confidence in handling problems associated with accounting function with minimal supervision.
5) Training students to develop confidence in appreciating and solving problems in accounting, auditing and taxation
To be admitted into the programme, the applicant should possess a mimimum of five ‘O’ level credits or the equivalents to include English Language, Mathematics, Economics, Book-Keeping and Accounts or Commerce and any other Art or Social Science subjects in not more than two sittings.
The required U.T.M.E subjects are English Language, Mathematics, Economics and any other Social Science subject.